This year everything is different, we all have to adapt, improve and overcome the various new challenges. So this year’s VMworld adjusted too. The event starts tomorrow and won’t be hosted on premises in the USA and Europe but exclusively online – featuring world-class tech experts from 29.09. until 01.10.2020.
Let’s focus on the benefits:
- It has a free part and thus is available for a broader audience
- No exhausting travel
- Easier to extract content and create notes
Over 100k people already registered, this is huge.
Continue reading “Last Call For VMworld 2020”
Ultimately I am able to announce new goals and a confirmed participation at two huge events in 2020. Furthermore I will dive deeper why I am doing this and what the domains of preparation will be like from my current point of view.
Continue reading “My stunning sport events for 2020”
These lines will give you a glimpse overview what it meant to participate in this years Mammutmarsch Berlin. Furthermore I will share some pictures taken during the run and overall insights.
Continue reading “Mammutmarsch Retrospect 2019”
at first I want to make some announcements because my life changed radically: new job, city and a whole new life setting at all.
The last months were exciting and exhausting with a lot of work, despite that I enjoyed every second to be alive in this time of huge potentials.
Continue reading “Running Events 2018 and more…”
arrived on Sunday via plane in Barcelona with about a hour delay due to high load at Barca airport. Check in at SB Plaza Europe around 11 pm. The location of the hotel is very nice. The Fira Grand Via (the fair where the VMWorld takes place) is in walking distance.
Next day I was very excited to take part at VMWorld for the first time. Got up very early and did a small workout in the fitness center at the hotel. Went for breakfast and again the coffee was the game changer. In addition the weather was awesome. Therefore I used the remaining time to go to the roof and shoot a picture that makes you jealous.
tldr? -> go for the pictures
Continue reading “VMWorld Barcelona 2017 – DAY 1 and DAY 2”
some weeks ago I announced my participation at Mammutmarsch 2017 in Munich – 100km in under 24h. Besides that the total rise of altitude was ~1100 meters!!! This weekend on Saturday afternoon I started the long walk.
Continue reading “The extreme event – Mammutmarsch 2017”
got a new announcement for you.
Next month on Saturday the 05.08 I will attend a mind boggling 100km walk called Mammutmarsch. At some point i try to run a part of the distance. In any case the time limit is 24h. Registration is still open if you like to participate :).
Start and finish is in Munich and I will pass by two major lakes in Bavaria, Starnberger See and Ammersee. Challange accepted!
Furthermore the next defiance will be the Bodensee marathon on 16th September. Two days after the VMWorld, the excellent balance.
Pictures will follow.
last week on Thursday I attended a very nice event in the WWK – Arena in Augsburg. The host was Netapp and a lot of topics in form of presentations were covered. In addition I met a lot of sympathetic people.
I participated in various sessions and I listed the key facts of my favourites below:
Hardware and ONTAP 9.2
- 32Gbit Fibrechannel SAN
- 40 Gbit with 4x10Gbit break out connection
- Hotplug Storage Controller – adding more performance – live
- New ONTAP long term support release Modell -LTS (up to five years) and non LTS versions
- NVE – Netapp volume encryption
- Efficiency features
- Aggregate (former volume) inline deduplication
- Replication ( remote site needs more storage if inline data efficiency features are not supported )
- Data efficiency features performance impact <10%
- Opportunistic in nature – adaptive dedup
- Fabric pool -> Capacity Tier -> Public or private cloud
- QoS features in SAN
- Min – max throughput per LUN
- IOPs per LUN
- Just in SAN
DevOps and Container
- Concepts of app operation and software development
- Standardize – consolidate – virtualize – automate – orchestrate
- Digital innovation and transformation
- Plan -> Develop -> Release -> Monitor -> Repeat
- Non dynamic historic concepts replaced
- For example: Apple release cycle – just a small part of users impacted
- API SDK REST – Integration of common tools
- Software defined infrastructure – environmental snapshots
- DevOps as process of operation and development of infrastructures
- New Job holders like “Site reliability engineer” (Google)
- >50% Infrastructure
- Predominant app developer
- Container – differences to the traditional way (monolithic applications)
- Micro services
- Meshed over REST
- IP based
- Sufficient performance available nowadays
- Can be upgraded independent
- Concept of load balancing a.k.a horizontal scaling
- For example: Google search engine
- Containers are not virtual machines
- Data storage out of the container
- Container orchestration:
- Kubernetes ‘k8s’
- Dynamic vs. persistent provisioning
GDPR – General data protection Regulation
- GDPR called EU-DSGVO in Germany
- Replaces the German “Datenschutzgesetz”
- Affects every company which handles European personalised data or does Business with European companies
- Will come into force on 25.05.2018
- Save Harbour -> Privacy Shield -> GDPR
- Company’s need additional personnel which are responsible – data protection Officer – privacy officer
- Punishment for data leakage: up to 4% of yearly revenues or 20 million euros
- Authorities must be informed within 72h
- Everybody has the right to be forgotten
- Data lineage
- Physical location of the data must be documented
- Data migration must be possible from one to another provider ( standardized file format, machine readable)
- Concept of pseudonymization will be important
- Encrypted data breach may not necessarily be reported to authorities
- Code of conduct and certifications
- Usage of hardening guides
Ontap and Cloud
Control of Hybrid Cloud
great news, this year I will be able to attend the VMworld for the first time, held from 11.09 until 14.09.2017 in Barcelona. Last year visitor count was about 20000 and Empire of The Sun was rocking the vmworld party :).
I am looking forward to take part at some fascinating speeches, speak with experts and investigate the newest innovations in the vmware universe.
Besides that I am very interested in discoverning the newest products from this years sponsors like Dell EMC, Intel, Veeam, Fortinet, Nvidia and QNAP.
Twitter will be used during the event.
After the exhibiton you will get a full report about the key facts, also I will try to take some nice pictures.
Maybe there will be an participation in an other big event, stay tuned for another disclosure.
As I mentioned in my about me text, I like to run … fast. Some time ago it was just a meditative recursion but now I am addicted.
My first half marathon in my life turned out to be a success. Placed as 42th of around 1000 on a very nice sunny Sunday in Augsburg, Bavaria. Finishing time: 1:33:45
Last Sunday the 25th of June at 08.00 am in the early morning I participated in the town run in Munich. Over 20000 enthusiastic people took part in this competition. My target was to beat the 1:30h but … not yet. In the end I finished with 1:32:10 which is an improvement nevertheless. The sunglasses were obsolete, very rainy and cold.
That’s what my contest preparation looks like:
- running 3-4 times per week about 20km. Sometimes rope jumping at the end.
- Split training of various muscles with dumbbells and a professional adjustable bench about 4 times per week. (Ironmaster)
- 2 times per week stretching and basic yoga exercise.
- Cycling every day about 10km to work, if the weather tolerates that.
- Sporadic swimming a bunch of 100meters in lakes or open air baths.
- Once a week bouldering with friends.
- Slow juiced vegetable and fruit juice. A balanced and healthy nutrition – most of the time 🙂